Sunday, January 31, 2010

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Calendar

It's Saturday night (technically Sunday morning now but close enough) so that means Randy Seaver has posted this week's mission:

"1) Open your genealogy software or family tree program of choice and make yourself the highlighted person.
2) Find out how to create a Calendar to show birthdays and/or anniversaries of yourself and all of your ancestors (or all relatives, or all persons - your choice!). The "Help" button is your friend here!!! It can be done in all of the current software programs.
3) Create your calendar. Pretty it up if you want. Save it. Can you show us a page from your calendar - say January 2010?
4) Which of your ancestors (or relatives, or descendants - your choice!), if any, were born on 30 January?
Have fun with this. How can you use this information during the coming year?"

Using Legacy Family Tree software, I 1st created a calendar using everyone in my database and the default calendar design. Since I opted for birthdays and wedding anniversaries, I ended up with a 36 page calendar. Legacy puts items that won't fit in the "day" boxes in list format using additional pages as needed. Examples below:  
Options are available to change colors and fonts and add pictures to give the calendar the look you want. I didn't bother with the pictures because it would take too long to pick out just the right ones but did play around with the colors and fonts.

To cut down on the number of pages, I decided to limit it to my direct line ancestors. Selecting direct line ancestors isn't an option for the calendar but selecting a group with a specific tag is so I needed to tag my direct line. (Legacy has 9 tags available and I use a few that I consider permanent but always keep some open for temporary use in little projects like this. Tagging can sometimes be your best friend.) If you are familiar with Legacy's search and tagging features, finding and tagging your direct line can be done in a couple of minutes.

Once my direct line was tagged, it was back to the calendar creator to select the tagged individuals and make some cosmetic changes. Since Kentucky had defeated Vandy earlier making the Cats 20-1 on the season, I was in a happy Blue and White mood (see last week's genealogy fun for "interests other than genealogy").

Once your calendar is created, you can print it, save the whole thing as a pdf or save a specfic page as a graphic (which is how I saved the examples).

In addition to this regular type of calendar, Legacy also has a "calendar list report" that might be more useful when you just need the facts and especially when you have more entries than will fit in the calendar format.

While working on this mission, I discovered a related function that I was vaguely aware of in Legacy but had never used. On the "Home" tab, birthdays, death dates and anniversaries occuring in the next 14 days will be listed but only if you turn the reminders on for each person you want to see. I have to admit, I've noticed those reminder boxes on the data entry screens but never took the time to find out how they worked. There doesn't seem to be a way to turn them on for everyone in the database at once but since I already have my direct line ancestors tagged, I can easily turn them on for those people from the search list.


As for someone born on January 30th, there is no one in my direct line so I'll go with the oldest relative. Mary Waller was born 311/312 years ago in 1698/99. She was the daughter of my 7th great grandparents, John Waller and Dorothy King, and the sister of my 6th great grandfather, John Waller.

That was fun and I learned a few things. I just wish I could write as fast as I can operate Legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment