Saturday, February 13, 2010

Winter 2010 GB Games - Competition Categories

Now it's time to decide just how hard I want to work over the next two weeks. There are six competition categories and each one has five levels of medals from Bronze to Platinum to award based on specific accomplishments. (For complete details see the GeneaBloggers site.)

1. Go Back and Cite Your Sources.
Since Legacy Family Tree added their source writer tool based on Evidence Explained by Elizabeth Shown Mills well over a year ago I've slowly been converting my sources so I really need to participate in this event. Completing 50 citations should be possible so I'm going for the Platinum Medal.

 2. Back Up Your Data.
At first glance this sounds like a category I could dominate. I'm a back-up fanatic so I'm also going for the Platinum Medal in this event.

3. Organize Your Research.
This is definitely not my event but it's probably the thing I most need to do. My organizational skills when it comes to paper are seriously lacking. You can ask anyone who has seen my office to verify that. I started re-organizing my paper files last January (that's 2009, not last month) but I'm a long way from finished with that task so I'll participate in this event but with no expectation of medaling.

4. Expand Your Knowledge.
There are some interesting items in this category. Hopefully I can accomplish at least three of them for a Gold Medal.

5. Write, Write, Write.
If you are blogging, how can you not enter this event? Surely I can finish two of these challenges for a Silver Medal.

6. Reach Out and Perform Genealogical Acts of Kindness.
I'm starting to think maybe I've bit off more than I can chew but what the heck, I'll try to accomplish at least a couple of these tasks for a Silver Medal.

I know that seems pretty ambitious but keep in mind that I'm retired. I have plans for all day today (Saturday) but after that there is nothing else on my schedule for the next two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment