Thursday, March 4, 2010

Fearless Females - Prompt 4

March 4 - Do you have marriage records for your grandparents or great-grandparents? Write a post about where they were married and when. Any family stories about the wedding day? Post a photo too if you have one.

Marriage Certificate for 
Emma Ewers Taylor and Elmer Dennis Hopkins

Emma and Elmer were married October 11, 1920 in Jellico, Tennessee (Campbell County). They lived in Rockcastle County, Kentucky but eloped because when Emma was 10 years old her mother cried at when her sister, Susie, got married. She decided right than that when she got married she would elope to avoid all the crying. 

Not only do I have a family story about the wedding day, I have the story written in Emma's own words:

"I went home from work at noon and Elmer and I left in a taxi as I went back to work. We went to Wildie. Got on train and rode to Jellico, Tenn. We were married by Justice of the Peace in a furniture store with 1 witness which was all the state of Tenn required. We went to a hotel and ate supper then caught the train to Corbin. We got there about 11 P.M. and went to our house Elmer had bought and furnished. I fixed a special delivery letter to be delivered to Mama about the time I would get home from work telling her I would be married by the time she got it. My brother told me later there was weeping and wailing. She wrote me a letter the next day for us to come home. So we went to Mt. Vernon the third day of our honeymoon. Mama had a good supper and a real nice cake. They didn't cry for which I was glad."

Emma and Elmer were my maternal grandparents.

Fearless Females is a series of daily prompts for March in honor of Women's History Month created by Lisa Alzo at The Accidental Genealogist.

No comments:

Post a Comment