Thursday, March 18, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday - Our Family History


Last week's featured treasure was my grandmother's life story that she wrote in a spiral notebook. This one is a sort of companion piece to that. My mother bought this fill-in-the-blanks family history book for my youngest sister to give to Mamaw as a Christmas gift sometime in the early 1970's (when my sister was about 4 or 5 years old). 

I looked at this book and read the notebook around the time my grandmother died in 1978 but didn't give them much thought after that for years. In 2001, something caused me to take a second look and that's when I became interested in genealogy. If you read through this book, you might think that my grandmother tried to fill it all out in one day. There is a lot of information about both her family and my grandfathers' but everything isn't necessarily in the right place so it's sometimes hard to follow. My original plan was to find some kind of family tree software so I could sort out the relationships in this book. I was hooked before I even completed that process.

No comments:

Post a Comment