Sunday, April 4, 2010

Ancestor Approved Award

I was pleased to learn yesterday that I had received the "Ancestor Approved Award" from Brenda Joyce Jerome at Western Kentucky Genealogy Blog. (Thanks Brenda.) As a recipient of this award, I am to list 10 things I have learned about my ancestors that have surprised, humbled or enlightened me and then pass the award on to 10 other genealogy bloggers who I feel are doing their ancestors proud. 

It seems that practically everything I've learned about my ancestors fits into at least one of those categories but I'll try to pick ten.
  1. It was surprising, humbling and enlightening to realize how many people had to meet in order for me to exist. I had always known that my parents grew up in opposite ends of Kentucky and met at Union College but until I started genealogy research it simply had not occurred to me what an enormous number of people had to have met under similar random circumstances. 
  2. It was surprising, humbling and enlightening to learn that many of my ancestors came to this country very early. Of the lines that I can trace, I haven't found one single recent immigrant - and by "recent" I mean post Revolutionary War. (Surely there are some and I just haven't found them yet.)   
  3. Genealogy research in general can be very enlightening if you dig deeper than just names, dates and places. I dare say I've learned more history and geography through this process than I ever learned in a classroom.
  4. It is enlightening to visit a place where an ancestor lived even though the area has probably changed tremendously since your ancestor was there. Maybe it's seeing and handling actual records that were created during their lifetime but you just get a feel for things that you can't get through a computer screen. 
  5. It was surprising, humbling and enlightening to finally identify my paternal grandfather's parents just last year through a joint research effort with several cousins.
  6. It was surprising, humbling and enlightening to learn that I had several ancestors (around 10 identified so far) who served in the Revolutionary War although I guess it makes sense because so many of them were already here by that time. The most surprising thing among them was that my 4th great grandfather, Thomas Ramsey, was at Valley Forge.
  7. It was surprising to learn that my 2nd great-grandfather, John Covey Howard, was divorced twice before he married his 3rd wife (and my 2nd great-grandmother) in 1856. 
  8. It was surprising to learn that Benedict Arnold was my 4th cousin, 8 times removed. (Yes, that Benedict Arnold.)
  9. It was surprising to learn that my 1st cousin, 7 times removed, Dabney Carr was a good friend of Thomas Jefferson and even married Jefferson's sister, Martha. Dabney and Martha are buried in the Monticello Graveyard along with the former President. 
  10. It was surprising to learn that my mother's Owens ancestors and my father's Fox ancestors all lived in Wilkes County, North Carolina at the same time and later moved to different areas of Kentucky. David Owens and Titus Fox both fought in the Revolutionary War from North Carolina. David Owens served under Benjamin Cleveland and Cleveland is also mentioned in Titus Fox's pension application. I wonder if the families knew each other. 
There are so many wonderful genealogy blogs that I enjoy reading (some of them are listed in sidebar) so selecting 10 is difficult but here goes.

  1. Linda at Flipside
  2. Carol at Reflections From the Fence
  3. Tina at Gen Wish List
  4. Amy at We Tree
  5. Astrid at Of Trolls and Lemons
  6. Greta at Greta's Genealogy Bog
  7. Karen at Genealogy Frame of Mind
  8. Staci at Wading in the Gene Pool
  9. Cathy at In Deeds
  10. Nancy at My Ancestor and Me
This award was originated by Leslie Ann Ballou at Ancestors Live Here.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you Linda, I am so honored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Linda. I enjoyed reading your "10," especially #9.

    Cathy at "In Deeds"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda,

    Thank you so much for the "shout out." I'm honored.

    St

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your award Linda and thanks for passing it on to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda - thank you for this award - I am so honored!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have really enjoyed reading your lists, Linda. Your blog is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Brenda. I enjoy your blog and have read it for probably a year. I have a few ancestors from Livingston County (Weeks).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linda,
    I'm so late in saying thank you! But here I am. I read your blog alot as I keep finding surnames of interest. My husban Mark has Hopkins & Rockcastle County, Kentucky ties - I've even found a few surnames (Goodloe/Pettus) that I need to ask you about! I do appreciate you giving me the Ancestor award! It was a surprise but very much appreciated. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen - I'm intrigued by the possible ties. E-mail me anytime at linda@lfmccauley.com.

    ReplyDelete