Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Ancestors' Geneameme

There was a lot of genealogy blogging going on while I was off cruising and traveling for most of the past two weeks. Today I started trying to catch up on reading before my Google Reader explodes (it still says 1000+, I don't want to know the actual number). 

I need to get back into the swing of things. This meme started at Geniaus and it looks interesting so here goes. 

The list should be annotated in the following manner:
Things you have already done or found: bold face type
Things you would like to do or find: italicize (colour optional)
Things you haven’t done or found and don’t care to: plain type

You are encouraged to add extra comments in brackets after each item 

Which of these apply to you?
  1.  Can name my 16 great-great-grandparents
  2.  Can name over 50 direct ancestors
  3.  Have photographs or portraits of my 8 great-grandparents [Have 7 but am missing Joseph Smith Lanier.]
  4.  Have an ancestor who was married more than three times [No, but have several with 3 marriages.]
  5.  Have an ancestor who was a bigamist [And that's all I'm saying about that.]
  6.  Met all four of my grandparents [Only met 3. My paternal grandmother died 9 years  before I was born.]
  7.  Met one or more of my great-grandparents [Met 3 although I only remember 2.]
  8.  Named a child after an ancestor
  9.  Bear an ancestor's given name/s [I share a middle name with my mother.]
  10.  Have an ancestor from Great Britain or Ireland
  11.  Have an ancestor from Asia
  12.  Have an ancestor from Continental Europe
  13.  Have an ancestor from Africa
  14.  Have an ancestor who was an agricultural labourer [Many, actually most]
  15.  Have an ancestor who had large land holdings 
  16.  Have an ancestor who was a holy man - minister, priest, rabbi [Great-grandfather, Thomas Leander "Lee" Hankins, was a Baptist minister.]
  17.  Have an ancestor who was a midwife
  18.  Have an ancestor who was an author 
  19.  Have an ancestor with the surname Smith, Murphy or Jones [2 Smith lines]
  20.  Have an ancestor with the surname Wong, Kim, Suzuki or Ng
  21.  Have an ancestor with a surname beginning with X
  22.  Have an ancestor with a forename beginnining with Z
  23.  Have an ancestor born on 25th December [Great-grandfather, John Cook Taylor]
  24.  Have an ancestor born on New Year's Day
  25.  Have blue blood in your family lines [Maybe, don't really know but my 10th great-grandfather, Nicholas Lanier, was a musician in the Court of King Henry II of France and the Courts of Queen Elizabeth I and King James I of England.]
  26.  Have a parent who was born in a country different from my country of birth
  27.  Have a grandparent who was born in a country different from my country of birth
  28.  Can trace a direct family line back to the eighteenth century
  29.  Can trace a direct family line back to the seventeenth century or earlier
  30.  Have seen copies of the signatures of some of my great-grandparents
  31.  Have ancestors who signed their marriage certificate with an X
  32.  Have a grandparent or earlier ancestor who went to university
  33.  Have an ancestor who was convicted of a criminal offence
  34.  Have an ancestor who was a victim of crime
  35.  Have shared an ancestor's story online or in a magazine [There are lots of stories here and a couple of years ago I wrote an article for the Rockcastle County Historical Society's newsletter about my 3rd great-grandfather, William Taylor.]
  36.  Have published a family history online or in print [In addition to this blog, I have a family tree website - McCauley, Lanier, Hankins, Hopkins & Taylor Families.] 
  37.  Have visited an ancestor's home from the 19th or earlier centuries
  38.  Still have an ancestor's home from the 19th or earlier centuries in the family
  39.  Have a  family bible from the 19th Century
  40.  Have a pre-19th century family bible

No comments:

Post a Comment