Monday, January 23, 2012

Amanuensis Monday - Will of Thomas Ewing

The will of Thomas Ewing was proven in Laurens County, South Carolina on 22 Oct 1800. 




In the Name of God amen I Thomas Ewing of Dunkins Creek in Laurens County and State of South Carolina being weak in body but of perfect mind and memory calling to mind the mortality of my Body and knowing it's apointed for all men once to die Do make and ordain this my Last will and testament - hereby unterly revokeing all former wills testements and Executors and Ratifying this and this only as my Last will and testement and first I give and bequeath to my Daughter Jane five shillings I give and bequeath to my Daughter serah five shillings I give and bequeath to my sone John five shillings I give and bequeath to my sone William five shillings I give and bequeath to my sone David five shillings I give and bequeath to my Daughter Margret five shillings I give and bequeath to my sone James a Brown Bay horse Colt one year old past one Bed and furniture with his sadle and Bridle I give and Bequeath to my Beloved wife Serah all the Rest of my Goods and Chattles of what kind and Nature so ever with all my Debts and to Enjoy all my Lands and tenements During her Life and after my said wife Deceases my will is that my sone James should have and enjoy all the said Goods and Chattles she should be posest of together with all my Lands and tenements after my said wifes Death and not Before and in case my sone James should Die without issue then my other three sones shall eaquealey enjoy all my said Lands and tenements my will is my said wife Serah should pay all the foresaid Legusies and I appoint and ordain my wife and sone John Ewing the Executor of this my Last will and testement In witnesswhere of I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 23d Day of July in the year of our Lord 1800

Thomas Ewing

Signed and sealed in the presence of us who in his presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our name
Roger Brown
John finney
Manasseh finney

An easier to read PDF copy of the will is here

I have a really hard time not inserting punctuation marks in transcriptions.

2 comments:

  1. Linda, like you, I have a hard time not correcting the punctuation. I posted a will today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara - Glad to know I'm not the only one :)

    ReplyDelete