Monday, April 16, 2012

Amanuensis Monday - Will of Hugh Munford

The will of Hugh Munford was proven 8 Nov 1806 in Laurens County, South Carolina.


In the name of God Amen 
October the 29th 1802

I Hugh Munford of Laurens District and state of South 
Carolina being very weake in Body But of Perfect mind and 
Memory Thanks be Given unto God for the same. Calling to Mind 
the Mortality of My Body and knowing that it is appointed 
Onst for all Men to Dye Do Make and Ordain this my last 
Will and Testament and Principly and first of All I do Recom-
mend My Soul Into the Hands of God that Gave it and My Bo-
dy to the Earth to be Buried in a Desent Christian Manner at 
the Discretion of My Executors Nothing Doubting But to Receive 
the same again by the Mighty Power of God and as Touching my 
Worldly Estate wherewith it hath Pleased God to Bless me in this 
life I do Give Demise and Dispose of the same in the Following:
Manner and Form.
Imprimis I do Give and Bequeath unto James Munford my son 
One Dollar
I do Give and Bequeath unto Nancy Finney my Daughter 
one Dollar
I do Give and Bequeath unto Margaret Scott my Daughter
I do Give and Bequeath unto Hannah Bell my Daughter One Dollar
I do Give and Bequeath unto Johnston Munford my son all my Lands 
Buildings Together with a Bay mare he now Claims and the Rest my Estate
household Goods & furniture, stock and all property by me possesed I do 
Give to my son Johnston and my youngest Daughter Anney Munford 
to be By them Equally Divided And I do Hereby appoint Geo Whitmore Eq 
Executor of this my Last Will & Testament & I do Hereby Utterly Revoke and Disanul 
Every Other former will by me made Ratifying and Confirming this and no 
other to be my Last Will Testament the Day & year first above written
Signed Sealed Publised and pronsured [sp?] by the [??] Hugh Munford [Signed by his mark]

In Presence of us.
James Gibson
William Lane
William Dillard


Source: Laurens County, South Carolina, Probate Records, Files and Loose Papers, 1732-1964, Estate of Hugh Monford; Box 49, Package 7; digital images, FamilySearch (www.familysearch.org : accessed 21 May 2011); Will signed 29 Oct 1802 and proven 18 Nov 1806.

Hugh Munford was my 5th great-grandfather through his daughter, Agnes "Nancy" Munford Finney.

1 comment:

  1. Laurens District? We really do need to work on the DNA. The problem is there are so many possibilities!

    ReplyDelete